Tuesday, January 5

What Faith Can Do

This song just touches my heart. I know I have not posted in a while (I'm sad to admit..since Thanksgiving!) But my family has had a lot going on in Decemeber not just the normal hustle and bustle of Christmas but we've had some hard times hit home. And now that I say that I'm thinking to myself it really isn't all that bad...but the storm doesn't seem as bad once you have gone through it and can see the sunshine.

On Dec 1st, my husband lost his job. There had been some issues going on for a few months and it all boiled down to poor management and lack of character. That's what they blamed him for but I believe it reflected on the leadership more then it did him. So here we are Christmas time and having to face the reality of living off of one salary and the lesser of both of our salaries. I knew my salary would not be able to provide. But God ALWAYS provides.

I surpised myself in how calm and collected I was when my husband told me the news. He was upset and discouraged. And I was full of hope. I had a peace about everything and knew that it was going to be okay.

I just can't even explain what God has done inside of me through out this month. He gave me hope from the beginning and continue to strengethen my hope and my FAITH. Faith is not just being a christian and believing IN God...it's believing THAT God will keep his promises and knowing that no matter the circumstances, he will make a way.

I found myself one Sunday morning a few weeks back singing an old worship song while I was in the shower...
"God will make a way, where there seems to be no way. He works in ways we cannot see, he will make a way for me. He will be my guide, hold me closely to his side. With love and strength for each new day, he will make a way..."
That morning our pastor preahced about hope, and we ended service with that very song. God was speaking to me through that song.

Well throughout this month my husband applied for probably 30 jobs. He had some good leads...but nobody called him back. Somewhere in the midst of searching for jobs he felt called to be a police officer. I can't even begin to tell you about how EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING fell perfectly into place afrter that point. We had people at our church that we didn't even know were connected to the police that wanted to help us and helped him get his foot in the door. And then he found out he had to go to school, BLET (Basic Law Enforcement Training) and I had no idea how we were going to pay for it. And God came through for us yet again and we had a special family member offer to pay for it. Then we were worried about having to live off of my income and him go to school...and he was going to try and get a part time job at night. Or go to night school possibly and work during the day.

We knew that this was God's plan for us and that eventually things would fall into place as they should. This whole time my husband had tried to apply for unemployment but we weren't holding our breath because we knew his company would probably try to fight it. Well Christmas Eve I had to work half a day (I work at a bank) and that morning I got to work and checked our account like I normally do and I was just filled with so much Joy when I saw a direct deposit from unemployment. I believe my co workers can tell you that I was so much filled with joy that I was jumping up and down. Now my husband would be able to go to school full time AND we would have a second income! I can't tell you how many times I thanked God that day.

My husband started class yesterday and was so excited to come home and tell me about it. (I have been home yesterday and today with Haylee because she somehow developed pink eye over the holidays.) But I am so proud of my husband and how he has been faithful to his calling. And I have to tell you that although I had peace and hope, I still had some doubt and fear. Was God reallly going to pull through, Is this really his plan for us, Is this the right thing? But now I know this is the right thing and that God ALWAYS pulls through...

I've seen dreams that move the mountains...Hope that doesn't ever end....
That's what faith can do.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, Stephanie! I did not know you and Solon had been through all this, but I'm so happy to see things are looking up now! I applaud your faith in God to see you through these times!

Sadler Family said...

Thank you for sharing your inspirational story. We have been going through something very similar this year (2009)and I don't know what I would do without my faith. Paul is still looking for a job, but I have faith in God's plan!